Transport America Community Initiative | Open Door Food Shelf
Nonprofit organizations are the backbone of many communities. Transport America supports nonprofits that strive to make a difference in the lives of those in need. The Open Door is one organization in particular that Transport America is proud to support.
Located in Dakota County, Minnesota, The Open Door assists over 5,500 individuals monthly thanks to the community’s strong support of their efforts. The nonprofit’s initiatives include:
- Two Food Shelf locations in Eagan and Lakeville, Minnesota to provide food resources to the hungry across the south metro area.
- Seven Mobile Pantries that deliver healthy, wholesome food to families and individuals who lack reliable transportation.
- The Mobile Lunch Box, a program designed to bring healthy lunches and enrichment activities to children in low-income families during the summer.
- The Garden to Table program, which includes 140 community garden plots where families can grow their own food free of charge.
- Family advocacy/community resource referrals to link families up with social service agencies as needed.
The Open Door is the largest non-profit food shelf in Dakota County and places a heavy emphasis on providing not just any old food, but wholesome, nutritious food for those in need. About 70 percent of the food offered at the nonprofit’s Food Shelves and Mobile Pantries include fresh, perishable items, such as milk, eggs, chicken, fish, bread, fruits and vegetables.
In 2015, Transport America showed its support by donating $1,252 and 130 pounds of food to the Open Door Food Shelf. For every dollar donated, the organization was able to provide up to $10 in healthy, wholesome food for families in need.
If you’re interested in working for a company that gives back to the community, learn more about us by visiting the Transport America website. Then, find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and YouTube for more information about working in the trucking industry.